Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Free Ticket Day... already???

At some point in the season, chances are pretty good you can get a free ticket to a game just by hanging outside the park. Of course, this usually happens once the Cubs are out of it, it's a weekday game or the Pirates are in town. Not this year. Second game of the season, against the Brewers (our new bitter rivals) and there were free tickets everywhere! Bleachers, field boxes, terrace reserved, upper deck boxes - you name it, it was free. Well, maybe not those new CBOE bullpen seats - I don't think we'll ever see any of those being given away on the street.

The foul ball barrage continued with Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez both hitting long foul balls onto Waveland. I ran down the Ramirez ball in the 6th and had a good view of the Braun blast in the 1st. Of course, the reason I had a good view of Brauns is because I was walking up Waveland towards the corner. Yes, I was late for the start of the game. And that tardiness most likely cost me a home run as Rickie Weeks deposited the very first pitch of the game out onto Waveland. I was walking by the old Yum Yum building, when I heard Pat Hughes make the home run call on WGN720.

Sure enough, when I got to the corner and got the scoop, I found out the ball landed about 20 feet from where I normally stand, so it would have been an easy catch for me. Oh well - share the wealth. And today's wealth was snagged by our aspiring young actor and sometimes ballhawk, Nick Eversman. One bounce, against the yellow brick building and then slowly rolling back towards the street. Nick ran it down before a couple of workers doing some brickwork in front of one of the rooftop buildings realized what was going on. It was Nick's first career gamer, though he's caught many in batting practice before. Congratulations, Nick!

Out of the Ballpark Totals:
Wednesday, April 2: BP-5 [W-5,S-0], HR-1 [W-1,S-0], Foul-2 [W-2,S-0]
Season: BP-13 [W-12,S-1], HR-1 [W-1,S-0], Foul-4 [W-2,S-2]

No comments: